A natural fibre with amazing health benefits, Hemp is so awesome that harvested properly it is stronger than steel and can be used to make everything from Lego to clothes to fighter planes not to mention exceptional products for your pets
But before you start to think we’ve been indulging out the back of the storeroom, here are some facts about hemp and pets.
How are cannabis and hemp different?
CBD (Cannabidiol) oil and hemp both come from the same plant which is part of the Cannabis family. CBD is derived from the stalk, leaves and bud of the plant. Hemp however comes from the seeds of the plant and is a highly nutritional supplement. And before you ask, no, your pet cannot get high from hemp. Hemp contains less than 1% of the psychoactive element THC, so it’s perfectly safe.
Why is hemp so good for pets?
Other than hemp, very few plant-based sources can claim to be a complete protein source containing all 9 essential amino acids which means it can do some amazing things.
- It has the perfect combination of omega 3, 6 and 9. Which is particularly good for dogs (who can’t make their own omega 3 fatty acids) to help with skin conditions, allergies, kidney function, heart disease, arthritis and more. Omega 6 fatty acids also help reduce inflammation and autoimmune diseases. And good ol’ Omega 9 keeps everything nicely balanced.
- Unlike many other supplements on the market, hemp is highly digestible for pets that have trouble absorbing nutrients from their diet. This makes it perfect for pets with sensitive digestive systems.
- High levels of amino acid tryptophan in hemp oil are particularly helpful with managing anxiety & mood in both dogs and cats.
- Hemp is splendid for improving the condition of your pet’s skin and coat – relieving dry skin and eczema, strengthening nails and helping heel sore cracked noses or paws.
- Hemp is packed full of anti-oxidants – in particularly, vitamin E and A which helps you pet’s immune system fight any chemicals, drugs, pesticides and toxins that they encounter in daily life.
- Just a reminder though that while hemp is an excellent product – it is a supplement to your cats and dogs diet, and not a replacement. If you have any concerns, please always talk to your vet first!
In addition to the amazing health benefits, hemp is one of the strongest, natural fibres on the planet - which is probably why hemp has been part of civilised economies dating back to the Mesopotamian era.
Fast forward a couple of (hundred) centuries, and manufacturers are recognising the benefits of the way the hemp natural fibres grow in such a way they ‘bond” much stronger than manufactured or other natural fibres. This makes it super strong, and a great eco-friendly alternative to many other man-made materials.
Hemp is also naturally resistant to mould and mildew, meaning hemp products are naturally antimicrobial and hypoallergenic. Hemp also gets softer over time, so your leads and collars don’t start wearing out. In fact, the more you use them the better they get!
So, if you want your pets to live the high life (c’mon – we’re allowed one little pun, aren’t we?), we recommend you check out our hemp collections!
The WONDERPETS team xx